Thursday, June 26, 2008

Pillow Talk with the Big Boy

I was just laying with Isaac and chatting with the lights off before I left him on his own to fall asleep.  We were reminiscing about our fun day at the petting zoo and then realized that there were no pigs there today.  I said that they were probably out shopping or at the pool. Isaac replied with his famous belly-laugh and added that the piggies were wearing Spiderman life vests, scuba masks and snorkels. This then turned into a pool full of several jungle and farm animals, with crocodiles jumping off the diving board.  All wearing life vests and floating on the foamy pool noodles.
We laughed and laughed.

Isaac then went to tell me a story all on his own.  I love this.  He can come up with all the characters, (not quite a) plot, surprises and ending all on his own.  The only aid I offer if any, is something like asking what happens next...

There was once a dream that had a lot of statues.  These were elephant statues and they were silver.  The statues were not outside, they were in a big castle.  The King liked the elephant statues so very much that he decided to take them to the brave knights.  The king took a special golden statue to his brave knight and said,"brave knight, look at this statue".  And the brave knight said, "wow!".  He liked it a lot.  
Then the golden elephant popped open!  It popped everywhere!!
And inside of the elephant statue, there was an egg.  
The king loved the egg.  
The brave knight loved the egg.
The queen loved it too.
It was an egg for a baby chick.
A baby chick was inside!
So the brave knight put the egg inside a cage.
Then the egg hatched and there was a baby chick inside!
And the baby chick walked all around the cage.
And it was so nice.
The end.

It is always fascinating to hear little children express themselves.  I realize that they have a limited vocabulary and yet, are still so capable.  I find that sometimes, children have a better way...a purer and simpler way with words than a lot of adults...bringing new concepts and views to light.  Being the nonsensical thinker I am...trying to make ridiculous depth apparent in something as shallow as a dixie cup full of grape juice, I cannot help but to draw a few things out of this silly night-night story of his.


5 comments:

Bren's Life said...

Wow he has quite the imagination.. That is great! Yes I am LDS, if you were referring to Jan's blog. I grew up in a ward called 8th ward, well she must be in a ward now that is also called 8th ward. So the joke between us is that I'm the inactive girl in her 8th ward that no one knows & can't figure out who I am... Do you know Jan?
Thanks for your comments.. It's fun to meet new ppl...

Bren's Life said...

By the way how did you find my blog? Where do you live- what state or Country? How many kids do you have?

Jessica Stier said...

What a great story. I read it to Uly and he wants me to read it over and over. You should paint some pictures to go along with that story and then pint up a little book. It would be awesome.

Great little creative minds!!! love it.

Rachel J. said...

I had the same idea,jess. I made a sweet book with Millie and we cut and pasted and laminated the pages. We love our crafts 'round here!

Kate said...

what a precious story! i can't wait until my little guy and tell me stories. mommy-hood is so great!