Monday, August 11, 2008

Complete and Total People




My toddlers love to play "superheros".  We have a costume box loaded with capes, wigs, spidey-suits, and vacuum attachments that serve as good makeshift bazookas in times of dragon-slaying and shark-hunting.

Spidey-suit or not...if you ask my son what his name is, 99% of the time he will reply "Peter Parker".  If you ask my daughter what her super-identity is...she will always tell you, "woman".

Woman.
She is 3...and that projection of herself could not be more accurate.

All children; are in fact, whole and complete people.  I agree, my daughter is most definitely, a "little woman".

How many of us grew up hearing responses like,  "I will tell you when you're older" or "because I said so"?

What a diss to the one inquiring.
Really. 
 
If someone asks the time.
Tell them 2:35.
Not the type of watch you have and how it gages 4 different time zones as you fly over them with a mouth full of honey roasted peanuts.

Talk to your kids like they are complete and total people.
Love and appreciate their views and ideas.
Let them have their own.

Who cares how old you are and what initials are after your name...you can learn a lot from someone so fresh to the other side. Things our minds have forgotten, can be resurfaced by the mind of a child.

Much power is entrusted to parents.  It is by and through the experience of family-life...that much power is created.

You know I speak tha Tr00F!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

THat is such a cute post!!! I love it!!! Children are AMAZING!!!!

Thanks for commenting on my blog & my Diet Divas blog :) I agree with your goals, too!!! :)

Llama Wanderings said...

This was a good reminder; thank you!

Eileen said...

I once heard that everyone is your superior in one way! And I think that is so true, I think we can learn so much if we take the time to listen, especially to our children and the pure way they look at everything!